BTEC Level 3 Makeup & Hair Diploma Course: 2-Year
Optional HNC + ITEC Qualifications
FILM – TV – THEATRE – FASHION
Private Training Academy
Longcross a NETFLIX Studio
Elstree Film & TV Studios
Recommended for ages 16+ as a continuation of education from school, college or university.
Showing prospective students around (including school holidays) for enrolment in 2024 & 2025. The 2-year BTEC Make up & Hair Course starts 23 September 2024 at Elstree Studios & 30 September 2024 at Longcross Studios.
The Most Comprehensive Makeup & Hair Course in the UK
If you are looking for the best possible make-up artistry course, Brushstroke’s 2-year Make-up and Hair: BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Production Arts (Make-up) is it.
This is a 100% industry-relevant course for those seeking to enter the profession as properly trained make-up and hair artist for film, TV, stage, and fashion.
Taught over a duration of 6 terms, the 2-year BTEC is the most in-depth and comprehensive of our courses. You will learn an excellent balance of subjects some which include period make-up and hair from over the decades, special effects make-up and prosthetics, stage make-up, making and apply facial hair and wigs, airbrushing, haircutting and styling, bridal, afro hair styling, fashion and photographic make-up and hair.
This full-time course is recommended for ages 16+ as a continuation of education from school, college, or university and covers more hours of practical training in comparison to other courses of a similar nature. BTEC syllabus requires students to be continually assessed throughout the course and you will be required to complete a range of practical assessments and coursework on a term-by-term basis. Although the students will receive an extremely credible BTEC national qualification, it is secondary to the comprehensive training that the students will receive at Brushstroke. It also differs completely from college and university courses allowing students to confidently and successfully work within the industry.
Being situated at both Longcross Film Studios and Elstree Studios you can study at your chosen studio and the Brushstroke after-care support will always be offered to you at either of our locations. This ensures familiarity and experience of different working studio environments.
At the beginning of the course, you will be given a complimentary professional make-up and hair kit which contains the essential products and equipment to get you started. There is also an Additional Equipment list (heated rollers, training heads, etc) that you will be required to purchase separately. Thereafter, all necessary consumables, products, and equipment will be supplied.
Students studying on this two-year course also have the option to work towards their HNC Level 4 Certificate and/or the ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Theatre, and Media Make-up.
On successful completion of this course, students may wish to progress on to the Level 2 VTCT Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing and Men’s Barbering Fast Track Full Time (32 weeks) or the 1-year Level 5 Higher National Diploma (HND) in Make-up and Hair.
BTEC Nationals: Level 3 Diploma
BTEC Nationals are the equivalent to A Levels and are the most widely recognised qualification for admission to higher education.
BTECs have the highest rates of learner progression as a vocational qualification. (Source: Department for Business, Innovation & Skills report on Social Mobility: Contribution of Further Education and Skills).
The 2-year Make-up and Hair Course comes under the category of Production Arts (Make-Up).
Full time practical training within a film studio
Brushstroke Entry Requirements
We are looking for students with a real desire and commitment to learn and achieve the highest standards in make-up and hair artistry.
Students wishing to enrol on the 2-year BTEC Make-up and Hair course must be aged 16+ and have attended an interview. Previous experience is not a requirement as you will start with the basics of every new term.
Aftercare and Ongoing Support
Ongoing support is provided to all our graduates, which enables them to refresh skills on any of our sessions at no additional charge from our south or north London studio locations.
Students with authorised absence from the course for personal reasons or work experience though Brushstroke, have the ability to re-join at a later stage to complete any subjects missed.
This life-long connection to Brushstroke is particularly important to our BTEC and ITEC students who make a real commitment to developing their professional make-up and hair careers. Once a student has completed one of these courses, we follow-up and offer further guidance to help them stay motivated and focused on finding the right job to suit their skills. After all, once a Brushstroke make-up artist, always a Brushstroke make-up artist!
2-Year Make-up & Hair Course Syllabus: BTEC level 3 Diploma in Production Arts (Make-up)
Below are the BTEC units and terms for our 2- Year BTEC Level 3 Diploma Course. Please note that the order of the terms can be subject to change or courses combined.
|Term 1: |
Make-up for Film, TV and Theatre
|Unit 92: Make-up for Performers |
Unit 97: Period makeup Design
|Term 2: |
Hair Styling for Film, TV and Theatre
|Unit 99: Period Hair Design and Wig Making for Performers |
Unit 100: Hair Styling and Dressing for Performers
|Term 3: |
Make-up and Hair for Film, TV & Theatre
|Unit 93: Make-up Application Skills and Creative Uses in Performance |
Unit 98: Fantasy Hair Design for Performers
|Term 4: |
Advanced Fashion Make-up & Hair
|Unit 2: Production Arts Workshop |
Unit 86: Mask making in the performing arts
|Term 5: |
Hairdressing and Barbering, Hair Extensions, Airbrushing and Business
|Unit 6: Production Arts Planning |
Unit 8: Production for Theatre Performance
|Term 6: |
Advanced SFX Make-up and Prosthetics
|Unit 95: Special Effects Make-up |
Unit 96: Make-up using Prosthetics
Term 1: Make-Up for Film, TV, and Theatre
- Health & Safety and hygiene practices in the make-up room
- Studio Etiquette and Professionalism
- Anatomy and skincare
- Product, tools, and equipment knowledge
- Basic and contemporary make-up techniques for all aspects of film, television, and theatre
- Period Make-up- focusing on a variety of iconic looks throughout the ages
- Simple Make-up Special Effects
- Make-up for supporting artists and crowd room scenes
- Timed and fast track make-up
- Practical assessments for BTEC units 92 and 97
Term 2: Hair Styling for Film, TV and Theatre
- Health & Safety, electrical hair appliances for hairdressing
- Product, tools and equipment knowledge
- Working with real hair lace and acrylic wigs and hairpieces from our wig department
- Basic hairstyling techniques using real hair, training heads and wigs
- Period Hairstyling- focusing on a variety of iconic looks throughout the ages using real hair, training heads and a range of wigs and hairpieces
- Men’s grooming for film, TV, stage and fashion
- Wig knotting skills: students will learn how to knot a piece of facial hair, apply and dress a moustache, measure for wig fittings and create cling film head wraps
- Practical assessments for BTEC units 99 and 100
Term 3: Make-up and Hair for Film, TV, and Theatre
During this term, students combine their make-up and hair skills previously learned on terms 1 and 2.
- Combined contemporary make-up and hair looks for all aspects of film, TV, and theatre
- Combined period make-up and hair looks for film and TV
- SFX make-up- using a range of products and techniques to create realistic individual casualties, larger wounds, and effects
- Fantasy Hair
- Afro and Multitextured hairstyling
- Practical assessments for BTEC units 93 and 98
Term 4: Advanced Fashion Make-up and Hair
- Advanced make-up and hair techniques working with different eye shapes and bone structures
- Contemporary stylised period make-up and hair techniques
- Session styling and advanced hair styling techniques
- Smokey eyes: working with different shapes and colours
- Make-up for upcoming seasons and the latest fashion trends
- Bridal make-up- classic and contemporary for photographic and catwalk shows
- Red carpet and celebrity make-up
- Glamour make-up for photographic, editorial, and catwalk
- Bronzed sun-kissed make-up looks
- Androgynous looks
- Matte, gloss, and wet make-up
- Neon make-up for use under UV light
- Avant-garde make-up
- Metallic make-up
- Futuristic make-up
- Working with gold and silver leaf
- Working with diamantes and feathers
- Male make-up and grooming
- Tattoos: creating and covering
- Photoshoot/Personal fashion portfolio development: Students have the opportunity to work with a professional photographer however please note, this is optional and an additional charge
- Practical assessments for BTEC units 2 and 86
Fees: Deposit + 6 termly payments of £4,000
Makeup Kit Included
* deposit is part of the total fee
Term 5: Hairdressing and Barbering / Airbrushing / Hair extensions
Essential Hairdressing and Barbering Skills
- Product, tools and equipment knowledge
- Terminology, geometry, methodology
- Demonstrations and Workshops on live models
- Basic cutting skills for ladies with long and short hair
- Basic barbering using thinning scissors, clippers and trimmers
- Blow-drying and finishing techniques
Hair Extension Techniques
- Applying hair extensions using various modern methods and techniques
- Afro Hairstyle Techniques
Airbrushing and Editorial Techniques
- Maintenance and cleaning of compressor and spray brush
- Spray brush control and technique including full make-up application
- Colour matching, highlighting, contouring, concealing, and correcting
- Creative airbrushing
Practical assessments for BTEC units 6 and 8
Term 6: Advanced SFX Make-Up and Prosthetics
- Advanced SFX make-up techniques using a range of specialist products
- Gelatine, foam and/or silicone runs and Pro Bondo
- Art Finishing
- Preparing moulds and working with flat moulds
- Bald caps: making, colouring, application and removal (including pre-made)
- Application and removal of prosthetic pieces for 3D character make-up
- Practical assessments for BTEC units 95 and 96
Please see below the dates of our
2 year BTEC Diploma Course
Qualification: BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Production Arts (Make-Up) + Optional ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Fashion, Theatre and Media Makeup.
Duration: 2 years full time
Course Dates Longcross Studios:
30 September 2024 to 09 July 2026
29 September 2025 to 08 July 2027
Course Dates Elstree Studios:
23 September 2024 to 02 July 2026
22 September 2025 to 01 July 2027
Times: Monday to Thursday 10.30am to 16.00
Fees: Deposit £3,000 followed by 6 termly payments of £4,000.
Interest free payment plans are available on all our full time BTEC and ITEC courses.
You will NOT be required to pay the full fees before the start of the course.
A deposit is required to secure your place, followed by the remaining balance divided into termly payments or instalments spread over the duration of the course.
Methods of payment: Bacs, cheque, bankers draft and debit/credit card
Complementary equipment: Brushstroke Make-Up and Hair Kit
Study Progression: Level 2 VTCT Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing and Men’s Barbering Fast Track Full Time (32 weeks) or 1 Year HND Level 5 Diploma.
Skills Learnt on the Course
Media Makeup and Hair
During the first year we teach you the most important makeup skills that are expected within the industry, starting with sessions of anatomy and skin care and moving on to basic tv presenter make ups. You’ll also study essential hairstyling techniques, wig dressing, fitting plus wig making. We’ll teach you ways to achieve various period makeup and hair work suitable for period drama.
Airbrushing and Editorial Techniques
Airbrushing and the application of full make-up takes great skill so we take the time on the 2 Year Make-Up & Hair Course to teach our students a variety of techniques for editorial work. For example, spray brush control, colour matching, highlighting and contouring are on the timetable along with equipment cleaning and maintenance.
Advanced Fashion Makeup
We spend time on the 2 Year makeup artistry course helping you sharpen your makeup and hair skills to create advanced high fashion looks for men and women. You’ll be focusing on creating looks and effects for photographic, editorial, catwalk and celebrity work. This part of the course will prepare you for projects ranging from stylised period and glamour to futuristic and avant garde
Special Effects Makeup & Prosthetics
As a student on the the 2 Year Make-Up & Hair Course, you’ll learn some exciting and impressive special effects make-up techniques. Using a range of specialist products, flat moulds and bald caps you’ll create different effects such as wounds and injuries. The prosthetics sessions will introduce you to life casting, sculpting and moulding to create 3D characters.
Hair styling and Extensions
The versatile makeup artist should also be a skilled hair stylist which is why our students spend valuable time on this topic. We teach key skills from hair cutting and barbering to styling, finishing and applying all current variations of hair extensions. This means you’ll understand shape and form, as well as the correct use of different products, tools and equipment.
Our students get tips and advice to help them master the business side of their careers as make-up artists. So, for example, we teach them about continuity, schedules, script break-downs and studio etiquette. We also help them with their own business issues such as insurance and accounts, as well as self-promotion and how to create an excellent portfolio.
Makeup and Hair Diploma Courses
Level 2 VTCT Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing and Men’s Barbering Fast Track Full Time (32 weeks)
HND Level 5 Diploma: Performing Arts- Make-up
7 Month Makeup & Hair Course (ITEC Level 3 Diploma)
6 Month ITEC Makeup & Hair Course for International Students Only